A Body In Motion
Everyone knows exercise is healthy. Now scientists are learning exactly why. Here are some of the amazing things that happen inside the body of an active person.
- The body becomes more efficient at burning fat for energy instead of carbs, causing fat cells to shrink.
- Exercise may protect telomeres ( the tiny caps on the ends of chromosomes) this appears to slow the aging process of cells
- Increased blood flow to the brain creates new blood vessels. Exercise also triggers the release of chemicals that dull pain and lighten your mood.
- Moving quickly makes the heart pump more blood to the body’s tissues, including the muscles. That extra oxygen helps muscles withstand fatigue.
- Repeated weight bearing contractions (lifting weights) makes muscles grow and put pressure on the bones increasing their density ( paramount as we age.. especially for females)
- Exercise revs up blood flow to the skin, delivering nutrients to the epidermis and helping wounds heal faster.