When the going gets tough, it’s easy to convince yourself to quit or give up. Our mental state is super important in pushing for that extra rep, extra minute, or even just getting yourself to the gym.
Below are 10 mantras and quotes to keep you motivated to push through it and accomplish your goals!
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take – Wayne Gretzky
- Not only is he Canadian, but this is probably one of the best and well-known mantra out there to follow. Think about this mantra when you don’t feel like going to the gym or you don’t feel like doing that extra set of weights.
- Every journey begins with a single step – Maya Angelou
- The first step is always the hardest. Putting yourself out there is difficult and there is always an excuse not to. But every journey starts the same and this is a reminder that you start with 1 step – not 1000. Start small, it doesn’t have to be overly complicated!
- Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently – Henry Ford
- If you fall, dust yourself and try again. Learn from your mistakes, don’t let it throw you off track. There will be hiccups for every journey, use a failure as a lesson learned and keep pushing forward.
- If it doesn’t challenge you, it won’t change you – Fred DeVito
- Challenging yourself is where you will see change. Don’t be afraid to push yourself!
- Why fit in when you were born to stand out – Dr. Seuss
- Classic, everyone knows this one. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there. Be brave, you’ll only become stronger from it. Be yourself!
- Sweat is just fat crying
- One of my all time favourites! I think about this one quite often during a major sweat session. I envision little fat cells bawling their eyes out and it motivates me even more to make more fat cells cry! As a visual learner, this quote really motivates me!
- Never be comfortable with ‘good enough’
- There’s that hashtag rolling around, #bestlifeproject. Always strive to be the best you can be. Life’s too short to worry about the small things. Think about the big picture – exercising, eating right, getting enough sleep, having a great support system, are finding balance are all so important for keeping your mind, body, and soul alive and well!
- I thought about giving up, be then I remembered who was watching
- This one is huge for parents or anyone that has someone or multiple people looking up at them. As a mother, my main motivation originally came from having my daughter. I remember in the early days of working out, making that baby weight fat cry :P, I would be thinking to myself “I can’t quit, I can’t back down, I have my daughter watching me as she grows up and I want to be a strong, healthy mama”. Be a role model for the younger people around you by making healthy habits. In turn, this will give them healthy habits too. It’s a win-win situation
- Don’t let your weekend be your weak end
- I am a sucker for puns! This is a great reminder to not give up every weekend just because it’s the weekend. Sure, have a glass of wine or a cold beer with friends, but don’t go crazy. Personally, I always need a glass in my hand with something in it, so I have a glass of wine, and then a glass of water. Find little hacks that work for you that you can still enjoy the weekend but you don’t go all out and lose all the progress you made the week leading up!
- Take care of your body, it’s the only place you have to live – Jim Rohn
- Last but certainly not least, your body is your vessel, it’s the only thing that will physically be with you for your whole life. Take care of it and it will serve you well.
No matter what, you will find a mantra that works for you that motivates you the most. Write a bunch on sticky notes and put them around the house and soon you will find a couple that really resonate with you.
Come check out the Sweat Lab, our trainers will help make your fat cells cry! – Lauren